Soda bread is not only delicious, but a lot faster to make than normal bread as the bread does not need to be proved. Baking with your children is a lot of fun, it will create precious memories and they can learn new skills in the kitchen.
- 170g self-raising wholemeal flour (or you can use a gluten free alternative flour if needed)
- 170g plain flour (again, gluten free if desired)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ bicarbonate of soda
- 290ml/ ½ butter milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
- Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- Once the soda bread is complete, there are endless amounts of toppings you can then enjoy. Eating whilst still warm is absolutely delicious with a nice salty butter is our recommendation!
If you create any of the recipes we have shared with you, do not forget to send us photos!